1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Wal-Mart's Super-Sized Trailer

By November 9, 2012

Wal-Mart trailer Wal-Mart has being showing off its super-sized trailer-tractor in Canada, which it calles the "Supercube". Instead of a standard 53 foot trailer, Wal-Mart has a trailer over sixty feet in length with a two-level interior that's been optimized to carry as much cargo as possible. The trailer has a built-in scissor lift at the end of the lower level that can lift 12,000 pounds at a time to the second level. It can hold some 5100 cubic feet which is 30 percent more than a normal trailer.

Wal-Mart says that the new trailer helps the environment as it hold more cargo, thus fewer trucks will be on the road. This position is not shared by everyone and the new trailer isn't on Canadian roads yet. The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) requires a 12 month pilot program to be completed before it considers the issuance of special licenses to allow the extra large trailer to move along Ontario's highways.

Comments

November 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm
(1) Hugh Foss says:

No idea if this supertruck will get past the pilot stage or if the MTO will allow it, but if Walmart pulls some political strings it will be all over Ontario and Canada within a year. I bet the drivers won’t be doing 100 km/h, they’ll be pushing 120 km/h or more – causing smaller vehicles all sorts of problems in the winter. Oh I can’t wait.

November 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(2) Frankie Collins says:

I live in Hamilton and I would not want a vehicle of that size passing me at 100 km/h or more on the freeway.

November 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm
(3) Ontario Driver says:

I would not like to see that monster truck come down our roads in Toronto. I can see it on the freeways and that would be bad enough, but it has to get to the stores and distribution centres, so it has to come on to smaller streets. Its a nightmare, I hope that the MTO bans it.

November 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(4) Henrik says:

The debate in many parts of the world seems to be the same, we also struggle with convincing politicians and others in Europe that the long trailers are not a problem. For many decades 24m long truck-sets (measured from front of truck to rear of trailer) have been used in the nordic countries, as Swede and Finland. If there is alink on the trailer also 25.25m is allowed. We have hard winters and sometimes bad roads but no problems with our big trailers. We have much more problem with unexperienced drivers form central Europe with only 16m truck-sets not used with our climate.
Please, do not be afraid of changes! Look at our experiences and be able to save a lot of unnecessary trucks on the ways. Money and environmental care goes in the same direction, why try to stop the changes?

November 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm
(5) Hmmm... says:

The rule, “keep it as simple as possible but no simpler” (Einstein), could be adapted to this, I think: “make it as large as possible, but no larger.” So when will big become too big?

As Pepsi seeks to save money they have gone to using interstate-sized trucks to deliver in town. Fewer trucks and drivers = lower cost, presumably. That is until the larger truck takes out cars in a parking lot on account of negotiating in a space that isn’t equipped for it. This happened to us just this last summer. Nothing like sitting around a parking lot for six hours while the mess got sorted out for contemplating the wisdom of big business.

November 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(6) Penny White says:

I agree that these huge trucks will save Walmart trips, but at what cost? Will they cause bridges to be unsafe because of the extra weight? Will they cause extra accidents? Any why did they choose Ontario for the trials, what about some remote area in Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia.

November 17, 2012 at 2:18 am
(7) Melissa Sturgess (Toronto) says:

I think many people in Ontario feel that these huge super-trailers are not a good thing for Canada. The size of these vehicles is very worrying to me as a person that drives from Toronto to Hamilton each day. In the worse weather I do not want to be passed by a vehicle the size of a train.

November 19, 2012 at 1:07 am
(8) Buddy Fisher says:

Wal-Mart seem to think that they can bully anyone into doing anything, just because they are Wal-Mart. I do not agree that we (Ontario) need mega-sized trucks hurtling down freeways.