1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Black Friday at Wal-Mart?

By November 20, 2012

Black Friday at Walmart Could "Black Friday" turn into a very bleak day for Wal-Mart? There are thousands of works who are pressing Wal-Mart workers across the US to join them in a day of protest against low pay, low benefits, and a company who they feel has no interest in their well-being. So could the protests spread and cause shoppers to think again and avoid the store on the busiest shopping day of the year? Probably not.

Although Wal-Mart does not recognize any union representation at its stores, there are two groups, OUR Walmart and Making Change at Walmart that are comprised of disgruntled Wal-Mart employees who are trying to stimulate media attention on their plight. They are also backed by the United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) union, and as a preemptive strike, Wal-Mart have already filed a complaint with the US National Labor Relations Board against the union. Overall Wal-Mart has 1.4 million employees in the US and if a few thousand protest, the company and shoppers will not find anything different on Black Friday.

Comments

November 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(1) Mike says:

I apologize for the snarky tone of the next sentence but….. I highly encourage you to read your posts prior to posting them. There are a couple of sentences that just don’t make any sense:

They are also backed by the United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) union, and om a preemptive strike Wal-Mart have already filed a complaint with the US National Labor Relations Board against the union.

and

Overall Wal-Mart has 1.4 million employees in the US and if a few thousand protest, the company and shoppers will not anything different on Black Friday.

November 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(2) Steve Sawalha says:

Wal-mart won’t care that a tiny percentage of its 1.3 million workers go on strike. They will make note of who was on the strike and then fire them in a few weeks or months. Is there anyone who really believes that Wal-mart is a great company, I only ever find blogs and articles that are slamming the company?

November 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm
(3) Leonard Ndudiosiso says:

Walmart wanted to get these protests stopped. The National Labor Relations Board has not yet decided whether to stop planned Black Friday protests in front of Walmart stores. Walmart treats its part-time workers very badly and keeps them underemployed very much like the employment situation in Mexico.

November 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm
(4) David Abayomi says:

I will be there on Friday helping out the strikers at my local Walmart, if there are any, I hope there are. If not I will find some store and show my support. I wish everyone goes and supports these workers who have a really hard time with their employer.

November 21, 2012 at 2:10 am
(5) Paul Powers says:

The Walmart workers say they’re protesting low wages, unsafe working conditions, and being forced to work on Thanksgiving as early as 8 pm. I hope that there are thousands of people on the picket line.

November 21, 2012 at 2:48 am
(6) Bennett Washington says:

I hope all walmart workers go on strike, but that will not happen. I will not step inside their stores, but I know many people that have to shop there as there are no other stores anywhere near.

November 21, 2012 at 7:34 am
(7) Nick Abasifreke says:

Wal-Mart will not worry that a few hundred or a few thousand will go on strike. It will not affect them and they will do anything to kill off any attempts at a union forming at their stores. I am sure if they could employ all illegal immigrants they would.

November 23, 2012 at 4:17 am
(8) Pamela Clarkson says:

From all the news reports the “big” strike was a total failure – the NYC says – “hundreds of people — including some employees — have taken part in Black Friday demonstrations at Wal-Mart stores nationwide”……Hundreds of people…….with employees in the US over a millions, some employees striking is a joke…..Walmart 1 – Unions 0.

November 23, 2012 at 8:45 am
(9) Cal Wirayudha says:

I was hoping that Walmart strike turned into something, but it looks like its a total bust. The Washington Post says “failed to reduce traffic” and that the number of shoppers were “bigger than last year”. If this is the level of worker participation in Walmart protests then they all deserve the crap situation they are in. These employees whine and complain and then do nothing to help themselves. Next time I go into Walmart I will have no respect for them. Walmart is NEVER be unionized and this will give them the mandate to cut hours, benefits and salaries, knowing that the workers will not complain, they will put up with anything.

November 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(10) computer coupons discounts says:

I drove past Walmart, I did not see anyone protesting anything except some angry people in the queue to get in. Wamart workers will never get one dime out of the company. This was their big chance and they blew it big time.

November 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm
(11) James Carlos Souza says:

As a union member I am embarrassed that only a few Walmart workers were brave enough to walk off the job and protest about bad bay and conditions. I realize that the 1.4 million employees are concerned about losing their jobs, but they have to realize that if they do not protest, if they do not make their voices heard, they will NEVER, repeat NEVER, be treated with respect by their employer.

November 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm
(12) Fredrick Dunbar says:

Here in South Africa we see a company, Walmart, that has total control of their employees. No strike is madness, there are 1.5 million workers and if they wanted to they could bring the company to its knees. They can’t sack 1.5 million people, they can fire a few thousand who speak out, or a few hundred, but not a million. So Walmart workers, you better get it together before you are working for a dollar an hour and kissing the feet of your manager each day.

November 24, 2012 at 1:25 am
(13) Garreth Wulandari says:

I read about the Walmart strike thinking it was going to be some big national strike like we used to have in the UK (remember the winter of discontent?). Then I read that out of one and a half million employees, the strike has 50 people. Is this even news….?????

November 24, 2012 at 2:31 am
(14) Eduardo Fernandes says:

Very poor showing of workers for the “walk-out”. Not sure what they will do now, I believe that the Wal-mart management are laughing so hard, they will never give the workers they respect they deserve, and they will feel that they now have a mandate to do whatever they want will conditions, benefits and salaries, as they know that the workers will never stand up for themselves.

November 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(15) Margaret Ferreira says:

I was in queue at Walmart for about an hour and I did not see any workers on a picket, or any union workers, no nothing except a bunch of cold hungry shoppers who should have been inside in bed.

November 24, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(16) Louis Dominic says:

I see in the news that the protest were a total waste of time. I read that “There were only around 50 actual employees who participated in the protests” – what a joke – that’s 50 out of 1.4 million, that’s so small my calculator can’t even work it out. Wal-mart workers – you are totally chicken.

November 25, 2012 at 8:30 am
(17) Pang Tseng says:

Although I do not know anyone that works at Walmart, I have seen TV programs and read articles that the workers are often underemployed, because they are forced to work part-time and so do not get any benefits. The company is not a charity, but I feel that any company who has 1.4 million employees in the US needs to be understanding towards them. If you think about the number of people who depend on Walmart (i.e. the extended families of those 1.4 million people) then it must be 6 or 7 million. That is a big responsibility. I think it is time someone (US govt. ???) got involved, even on an informal basis, to encourage the company to have more understanding towards its workers. If not, then maybe 5 or 10 years there will not be a Walmart as strikes and industrial action will take affect and the company will fall to competitors like Target? What do others think?