1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Maritime Speed Limit To Lower Emissions

By November 26, 2012

Maritime Emissions A new study by the University of California, Riverside, has suggested that if ports introduced a speed limit of 14 miles per hour for maritime vessels, this would the emissions of nitrogen oxides by 55 percent and soot by almost 70 percent. The current speed limit around ports is between 25 to 29 miles per hour, but the reduction would cut not only nitrogen oxide but carbon dioxide by 60 percent.

Ninety percent of the world's cargo is moved by around 100,000 maritime vessels and a speed reduction in the ten mile area around ports will significantly improve the air quality for residents closest to the terminals. Since 2001, the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach have offered financial incentives to shippers that voluntarily reduce their speeds to 12 knots. In August the Port of New York and New Jersey approved several similar initiatives to reduce emissions, including a voluntary speed reduction where vessels should reduce their speed to no more than 11.5 mph starting 20 nautical miles out.

Comments

November 27, 2012 at 12:49 am
(1) Abdellahi says:

Sounds like a good idea, but how much emissions do these vessels emit when they are outside of port?

November 27, 2012 at 1:53 am
(2) Jilly Paulson says:

I live near the Port of LA and I can’t put out washing or sit outside without thinking I am getting covered in Lord knows what from LAX and the port.

November 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(3) Carter Atkins says:

Martin, Please correct this article. Port of Los Angeles and Port of Long Beach offer financial incentives to shippers that voluntarily reduce their speeds to 12 knots.

November 28, 2012 at 11:37 am
(4) Paul Collins says:

I know that LA has been encouraging vessels to reduce their speed for a decade or more, so I have no idea why the other ports, either along the West Coast, or other areas have not followed suite.

November 29, 2012 at 10:15 am
(5) Lloyd Sanchez says:

Knowing that the port of LA is doing something to reduce the emissions in the LA area is very comforting, but I am surprised that other ports have not followed with their example. Just a small financial incentive would sway many shippers to reduce speed I am sure.

November 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm
(6) SK Kumar says:

If this speed reduction is happening at ports in America, is it also happening at other ports in the world, or do they not worry about NoX or GHG emissions?

November 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm
(7) Cliff Powell says:

I have the same question as others, is this being done in other parts of the world or just LA and NYC?