1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Packaging Made From Ocean Debris

By January 28, 2013

Recycled Packaging Environmentally sound packaging is a goal for a great many companies and one company, Method, has launched a new bottle that is made from a blend of plastic recovered from the ocean and post-consumer recycled plastic. The new bottle is used for dish and hand soap, which can be purchased at Whole Foods stores. This is a good first step as it is estimated that plastic makes up 80 percent of floating marine debris. Marine life is drastically affected by this pollution, with over a million seabirds and 100,000 sharks estimate to be killed.

Method employees have been working with two organizations in Hawaii, Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii and Kokua Hawai'i Foundation; to hand collect tons of plastic from Hawaii beaches. This plastic was then used by a company called Envision Plastics who developed a new process to quickly clean, blend, and manufacture bottles that have the same characteristics of bottles made from virgin high density polyethylene plastic.

Comments

January 31, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(1) Victor Flores says:

Amazing story, I would have loved to been on the beaches of Oahu collecting plastic bottles (and some serious rays). But there aren’t many beaches here in Northern Texas.

January 31, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(2) Kelli S. Vine says:

Very pleased that some company is addressing the shocking problem of marine waste. Millions of fish and sea animals die each year because they ingest marine debris like plastic bags and plastic bottles. This goes unseen as it is in the middle of the ocean and not at people’s doorstep. If it was pilling up in the street or killing their pets, people would take notice.

January 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(3) Neil Fenn says:

I have not seen these bottles in Whole Foods, but would be very interested in supporting a company that is doing something different and shining a light on a very real problem that most people (media, government, etc.) don’t want to address.

January 31, 2013 at 7:06 pm
(4) Vanessa Cruz says:

Method is a great company for trying to do something new and different while highlighting the big issue of marine debris. I have seen photographs of this plastic waste in areas of the ocean and it really saddens me that we as a great country are doing nothing while millions of sea birds and sea creatures are dying each year.

January 31, 2013 at 7:16 pm
(5) Jason Holmes says:

Great packaging idea, a bit of a gimmick initially I guess, but if you had trawlers in the ocean fishing for plastic and not fish then you could get the raw material. Its possible, although I am not sure why they had to go to Hawaii to pick up plastic bottles, I see plenty of bottles filling up the garbage bins (and roads and sidewalks) of New York City, every day.

January 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(6) Sandeep Porwal says:

This is not a subject I am familiar with, this of marine debris. I think that the USA has many issues that we do not address in India. The oceans are polluted and I understand that they need to be cleaned up, but how does a plastic bottle made from marine plastic debris help the dire situation?

January 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(7) Marco Santos says:

Great idea, great publicity. Collecting plastic bottles from Hawaiian beaches sounds great, but the US has vast amounts of coastline and we could do with help on the West Coast as well as I am sure that the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico beaches could do with too.

February 1, 2013 at 12:00 am
(8) Colin Hammond says:

I think this was a brilliant idea. The marine debris problem is a real problem, but as it is in the middle of the ocean, no-one seems to be that bothered. Drawing attention to the problem will raise awareness, but this needs to be a permanent position by the Method firm, not just a one off publicity stunt.

February 1, 2013 at 1:34 am
(9) Beth Roach says:

When can I sign up and help with the collection of bottles in Hawaii. It’s snowing here in Chicago, please let me get over to Oahu and collect plastic bottles.