1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Severe Violator Enforcement Program

By February 6, 2013

OSHA The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) created a list of the worst offenders for health and safety. The Severe Violator Enforcement Program (SVEP) contains over 300 businesses that have violated their OSHA responsibilities. Two new additions to the list are Grede Wisconsin Subsidiaries which was cited for 28 health violations and a proposed $274,500 fine, and Panthera Painting who was fined $460,000 in fines accused of failing to protect workers from exposure lead-based paint.

OSHA reported that Grede is a three-time violator of rules against exposing workers to crystalline silica dust. OSHA visited Grede's Browntown, Wisconsin facility in August 2012 and found unguarded railings; failing to provide adequate personal protective equipment for eyes, hands, and face to protect against metal splash hazards; a failure to provide employees effective information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area.

Comments

February 11, 2013 at 3:20 am
(1) Ralf Muller says:

Good job by the OSHA. It is vital that these companies are fined and embarrassed by the lack of concern that they have for their employees and anyone who comes into their facilities. One of my friends was delivering a package to a company and was hit by falling boxes that had been stacked too high. The company never even apologised, but my friend called OSHA and informed them.

February 11, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(2) Eileen Stone says:

I did not know that this SVEP list existed. I hope that some of our vendors are not on it.

February 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm
(3) Alicia Foules says:

Can anyone tell me where the SVEP is published? Are those companies on the list able to get their names off, like with probation or do they sit there for ever on the list? Anyone know?

February 11, 2013 at 9:36 pm
(4) Geoff Finn says:

Can anyone out there tell me where I can see a list of companies on the SVEP?

February 12, 2013 at 12:50 am
(5) SaraLynn Forrest says:

Very interesting reading about the severe violations. But what exactly does a company have to do to make it on to the list – is it the number of violations, the amount of the fines, the frequency of violations?

February 12, 2013 at 1:01 am
(6) Henry Hein says:

I think that OSHA does a good job with the limited budget it has, but what a better job it could do if it was funded better. You have to assume that they are only catching a small percentage of companies that violate safety laws and regulations.