1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

IATA's Secure Freight

By February 11, 2013

IATA Making cargo more secure is increasingly important and as such the International Air Transport Association (IATA) has introduced a program called Secure Freight. The program was created by IATA to "promote global security standards to facilitate safe, secure and efficient operations of air cargo".

IATA' Secure Freight offers assistance through the creation of templates, documents, and best practices to assist in securing the supply chain. It is especially relevant for countries where supply chain processes do not exist or require enhancements. IATA have identified four priorities that will make cargo more secure; closer cooperation between the individual stakeholders, harmonization and convergence of regulations, mutual support among governments, and long-term commitment from governments.

Comments

February 12, 2013 at 1:54 am
(1) Owen Cooper says:

I am always concerned about flying back from Eastern Europe to the US when I see some of the cargo being loaded and wondering if it was checked, or x-rayed. I used to see live tropical fish being loaded every week when I lived in Sarasota, so I wonder what they put aboard when I fly out of Kiev or Budapest.

February 14, 2013 at 3:37 am
(2) Chandra Mukopadhyay says:

Securing freight must be the number one priority for freight airlines. It is so important that I hope that they are working on making their flights the safest.

February 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(3) VJ Jayaraman says:

This seems like a very good idea. IATA is a good organization and I am sure they can work with most governments to provide a level of security on flights.

February 14, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(4) Dave Van Rooyen says:

If freight is x-rayed and been through the normal checking process then there should be no issues. There are a few countries that have some flaky procedures, but in the most part, its pretty safe.

February 15, 2013 at 12:47 am
(5) Paul Gbadamosi says:

Sounds like IATA are making some good progress, but there are many governements out there that just don’t want to be told what to do and will also be loose with regulations and agreements. I was flying from Rome to Athens and we had to turn back to Rome as the freight on the plane was not supposed to be going to Athens….now that made me very worried.

February 15, 2013 at 3:00 am
(6) Colin Shaver says:

Every time I get on a plane I wonder what is in the hold. You sit there and watch all those boxes go on and pray that they have been scanned and x-rayed.