1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Martin Murray

Transparent Food Supply Chain

By February 20, 2013

food supply chain As Europe reels over the horse meat fiasco that has affected numerous supermarkets and food manufacturers, some firms are trying to turn the negative into a positive. Tesco, UK's largest supermarket has pledged to give customers a detailed view into its global supply chain, to gain back some customer confidence. Tesco says it is now looking across its supply chain in order to give an unprecedented level of transparency.

One of Tesco's main competitors, Morrisons, has indicated that they believe that the food supply chain has become "far too complicated" and that the some retailers "do not know where the actual product is coming from". Morrisons believed that the food supply chain should be simple where there is the farmer, abattoir, meat processor, and the retailer. If supermarkets owned their own abattoirs and meat processors then the supply chain would be simple and not subject to infiltration by unapproved vendors or products.

Comments

February 24, 2013 at 10:44 am
(1) Jane Stanmore says:

The food supply chain is complex, but companies, especially in the food manufacturing business, should know every supplier in the supply chain to ensure that the food products that reach the consumer is exactly what it is supposed to be.

February 25, 2013 at 5:15 am
(2) Claudia Samuels says:

I agree with the Morrisons model of having a direct relationship with the meat processor, BUT that does not mean that horse meat or any other mystery meat could not get into the supply chain.

February 25, 2013 at 5:24 am
(3) Lawrence Kelly says:

Some supermarkets don’t care where the items come from as long as the product can be sourced cheaply and sold at a profit. The horse meat in the beef scenario has probably been going on for years and no-one would have known. The new procedures of DNA testing meat and fish will certainly improve the food supply chain, but it will not stop suppliers trying to make a quick profit by selling some dodgy products.

February 25, 2013 at 11:30 am
(4) Cassie McNeil says:

I’m getting a bit sick of reading each day a new source of horse meat tainted products. Tesco’s, Findus, IKEA, Nestle….who’s next.

February 25, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(5) Grace Stephens says:

Until this tainted meat situation calmed down I will certainly not be buying any beef products from the supermarkets or buying any beef products from restaurants. I saw last week that some restaurants are either not selling beef items or have them on huge discounts. I watched all the people around me at a restaurant have either chicken items, vegetable items or fish entrees.

February 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm
(6) Kathy Connor says:

This horse meat thing is still going on. I read today that the meatballs at IKEA have been tested positive for horse…..and they were made in Sweden. Is it safe to eat Chicken????? I bet Vegetarians are so smug at the moment….and I can’t blame them…

March 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(7) Moriasi Maranga says:

if supermarkets simplify the supply chain by backward intergration as Morrisons suggests, then i guess they will deviate from their core business, which is retail.